function smfAutoTask() { var tempImage = new Image(); tempImage.src = "http://www.dodedge.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=6a51318d5415f7e4253040122ca9d03d&scheduled=task;ts=1711648800"; } window.setTimeout("smfAutoTask();", 1);

DoD Edge Network
Players Online: 0

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to Search Client Log for Evidence  (Read 4696 times)

FaliniFyreheart

How to Search Client Log for Evidence
« on: January 06, 2017, 04:58:49 AM »
Hey all,

If you can't take a screenshot for whatever reason (i.e. can't scroll back enough), your Minecraft client keeps a log of everything you see in chat in the .minecraft folder. The name of the file is called latest.log.

Use the following instructions for the fastest way to get to it on Windows 7 and Windows 8:
Go to start or open the Charms tab by pressing and holding the key then press S.
Type %APPDATA% and press Enter.
Open the .minecraft folder at the top.
Open the logs folder.
Open the logs individually, latest.log will always have the latest information. At this point i usually sort by Date modified. :P

You will also most likely see a list of files that end with the extension log.gz. These are text files that have been compressed automatically to reduce the amount of space they take on your computer. You can simply use the file compression tool that Minecraft used to compress it which is called gzip, or you can use an alternative one called 7-Zip, both are Free.

Each chat line has a time stamp in the form hh:mm:ss, making it easy to scroll to the exact moment you need. If you were playing for a long time before the incident occurred, Be patient, since a large client log can take a minute or two to load into your text editor. Here's a sample of me joining the server and sending a /msg to myself for the sake of this guide.

Example Log:
[spoiler][22:34:21] [client thread/info]: Connecting to play.dodedge.com, 25565
[22:34:23] [client thread/info]: [chat] [hub] You have been teleported to spawn!
[22:34:23] [client thread/info]: [chat] ---------------------------------------
[22:34:23] [client thread/info]: [chat]
[22:34:23] [client thread/info]: [chat] Choose a server Portal
[22:34:23] [client thread/info]: [chat]
[22:34:23] [client thread/info]: [chat] ---------------------------------------
[22:34:27] [client thread/info]: [chat] Welcome, Death!
[22:34:27] [client thread/info]: [chat]
[22:34:27] [client thread/info]: [chat] Make sure you read the /rules!
[22:34:27] [client thread/info]: [chat]
[22:34:27] [client thread/info]: [chat] You have no new mail.
[22:34:43] [client thread/info]: [chat] [me -> death] Welcome to DoD Edge Network! :)[/spoiler]

If you know what your looking for, you can use Ctrl+F to bring up the search prompt, or bring it up in the Edit menu, or 'Search' then 'Find...' if you use Notepad++.

Quote from: Notepad++
Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and also as in "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL License.

If you're posting a large piece, you should use the button. It is right in the middle in the top row of buttons between the paperclip and the @ sign (attachment and email).

Finally, you'll want to edit out the irrelevant stuff.

I hope this guide helps someone, have a great day!  :thumb:

top android   android
© 2017, DoD Edge Network